Today’s article is for you folks who are really feeling rocked by the astrological events of the past month or two-a lunar eclipse April 15th, the “grand cross” on the 22nd/23rd, a solar eclipse on the 28th, and numerous other fun opportunities for getting in alignment that the Universe has dished up recently! 😉
It’s an excerpt from my book, Life Well Spoken: Free Your Inner Voice & Prosper and this piece is all about how to deal with those dark, funky times…you’re not alone!
IT’S DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN
I was listening to a recording of Dr. Michael Bernard Beckwith talking about Spiritual Liberation…I had totally forgotten about it until I heard him speak, and it was funny because I had experienced two huge breakdowns or “dark nights of the soul” in my business since the first time I listened to him speak and had forgotten all about what he said when I was in those breakdowns—it didn’t even register. I think it was because I hadn’t experienced them yet, and so I had no context for them when I heard him speak originally. This time I knew exactly what he was talking about, and I had an even deeper appreciation for the breakdowns I had experienced and the gifts I received as a result of going through them.
Beckwith describes three kinds of darkness.
- There is the darkness of gestation, when a seed of inspiration is beginning to grow and it needs the darkness to sprout and gestate, to take root and begin to grow.
- There is the darkness of cleansing, where we release what no longer serves us, and a dark- ness is there until we fill the void with something that is of a higher vibration and more beneficial to us.
- Finally, there is the darkness that comes with spiritual blindness, or being blinded by the light of our own Divinity, and because we are habitually seeing through the eyes of our ego, which cannot stand to look at a light so bright as the Light of Source, we go blind—literally, and figuratively. It is a temporary blindness, but terrifying nonetheless.
Breakdowns can happen in gestation when we try to force the seed of inspiration to pop before it is ready, before we are ready. We resist the process, and so it is painful and drags on unnecessarily.
Breakdowns happen in the cleansing phase when we resist letting go of that which no longer serves us. When we try to hold on to old, outdated ways of thinking and feeling, we experience the fear of darkness and the growing pains that happen when we are moving forward, but our mind and body are trying to stay put.
The breakdown of blindness occurs when we see and touch possibility, when we have a glimpse of who we truly are, and what we can be and do in this lifetime, and it’s so eff’n scary that we just shut our eyes and say, “NO WAY! I’m not ready!”
What is a breakdown? It’s where your whole world (and your business) gets thrown up in the air because you made a deeper commitment to yourself really to step into what’s possible in your life and in your business, so every part of your being freaks out and tries to sabotage the whole thing.
When we are in the throes of a breakdown, it sucks. Afterwards, it’s awesome—provided we didn’t quit or run the other way completely! It can feel like the surge of adrenaline, endorphins, and feel-good hormones you get after surviving labor pains to give birth.If you’ve ever tried to do something really different than you ever have done before, or listened to your inner wisdom and made decisions that were radically going to change your life or the lives of others, you’ve likely experienced breakdown.
Some signs that you may be in breakdown or one of the stages of darkness that Beckwith describes:
- It feels like the solid ground you were standing on just got ripped out from under you.
- You may have the sensation of floating or falling in space and never knowing when, where, or if you’ll land.
- You may start trying to rationalize everything in order to gain some sense of control.
- There is nowhere to hide. All the “comforts” that used to work to help soothe, whether that’s food, drink, TV, or some other drug of choice (chocolate anyone?) no longer work the way they used to. You are face- to-face with yourself, and there’s no more hiding or kidding yourself. (This, by the way, is a very good sign and worth every moment when you move through it without getting stuck!)
- Crying…lots of crying. Or being on the verge of tears until you have a good cry.You or your family may start experiencing all kinds of disruptions, illness, lack of sleep, accidents, or things not working out the way you thought they would— hitting “dead-ends” or even having several things break down in a short period of time. It’s like “all hell breaks loose” and you need to spend a lot of time “cleaning up” or taking care of yourself, your family, or the drama that’s going on around you, and nothing gets decided.
How do you move from the breakdown to the breakthrough? Through the most simple and powerful gift we possess as human beings: Choice.
I have many tools I use for choosing a new reality. One of my favorites is the Thought Leader Creation Turnaround™ (email me and I’ll send you a copy of the PDF!).
Here’s an even more powerful way: Join us in the Inner Voice Circle and learn how to choose. Get support for moving through those times of darkness before the dawn whether it’s nourishment for when your gestating something, a place to recalibrate as you let go of what no longer serves you, and learn to tolerate the higher vibration that comes when you see through the eyes of God, through the eyes of your Inner Voice (when it seems that no one else around you can see what you see!)
The energy of this time is ripe for gaining clarity and truly aligning yourself with your Inner Voice and how you are designed to succeed. Let me know how I can support you.
From My Heart To Yours,